The Northern Cape, home province of Thuru Lodge, has very different temperatures throughout the year. The summers are very hot and the winters are extremely cold. Therefore, successful clothing choices can only be made once you know a little bit more about the climate of the province.
Summer (December – March)
For those braving the sweltering Northern Cape summer, protection from the sun and heat has to be top priority. Pack clothing that, while light and breathable, covers the skin to prevent sunburn. Carry plenty of drinking water when travelling or exploring this region.
Temperatures have been known to simmer at around 35 to 38 degrees Celsius, with little wind to cool it down. In extreme cases, it has soared to beyond 42 degrees. There is very little rainfall at any time of year, but summers are particularly dry.
- Swimming costumes are a must
- A hand-held fan or spritzer bottle
- A wide-brimmed hat
- Sunglasses that shield the eyes from the sun effectively
- Light, cotton clothing (shorts, skirts, tops, t-shirts, and summer dresses are ideal)
- Comfortable walking shoes for climbing and walking
Winter (June to August):
Prepare well for the icy winters of the Northern Cape by bringing plenty of warm clothing along, especially for night times. While still dry, this period is beautiful, and well worth a visit for those that do not long for the African sunshine.
- Jeans, corduroys or similarly warm, weighted trousers
- Long-sleeved shirts
- Vests and tights
- Warm jerseys and jackets, lined with fleece, if possible
- A scarf and hat
- Warm, waterproof shoes
Spring (September to November) and Autumn (March to May):
Pleasantly warm, these seasons bring with them sunshine. While they are usually more on the hot than side than the cold, there can be cooler breezes to lower the temperature at this time.
- A pashmina or a light scarf
- Full or three-quarter length jeans and pants
- Short-sleeved and long-sleeved tops
- A high-factor, good quality sunscreen
- Comfortable walking shoes
Springtime in the Northern Cape Province is an awesome sight. The arid countryside explodes into fields of colour as wild flowers blossom in a vibrant carpet of reds, yellows, oranges, pinks and purples. This is a lovely time to visit this part of South Africa, as the temperatures are cooler and the countryside magnificent.